Valerie’s interests are varied, but most of her writing centers on gender, pop culture history, race, and religion. Below is a brief listing of pieces that are close to her heart. If you are interested in having Valerie write for your site or project, contact her here.
- Women v. Religion: The Case Against Faith…and for Freedom, edited by Dr. Karen Garst: “Black Women & Christianity in the United States: A Historical Perspective, Part I (Colonial Era to Jim Crow) (June 2018)
- Vox Magazine: “The Fraught Gender and Racial Politics of the Royal Wedding, Explained” (May 2018; quoted in piece by Anna North)
- Pretty Penny Empire: “No Romance Without Finance: Making My Own Rules About Marriage & Money” (February 2018)
- Allure Magazine: “What Meghan Markle’s Engagement Says About Black Royalty” (November 2017)
- The Inquiry: “So Says the Beautiful Spirit: Ethel Tyler and the Black Spiritualist Church in St. Louis.” (Washington University, 2008)
** ** **
Note: Because plagiarists ruin things for everyone, I’ve temporarily removed most of my online essays. I am revamping my blogs, and new content will be posted soon. Informal history-themed posts can be found at www.lynnfieldhistorical.com/blog.